Monday, February 14, 2011

Funny Tumblr page: Who Is Arcade Fire??!!?

For me, the Grammys have been the symbol of irrelevance in music awards. I don't know, it just wasn't for me. It just seemed like every year whatever single I heard most at parties, bars, or bowling alleys was usually part of album of the year.

Well as most of you have probably heard, the Arcade Fire won the Grammy for best album. I didn't really think much of it, but people are making a huge deal of it. I thought The Suburbs was a really good album and even though I don't think it was the best album of last year (Beach House's Teen Dream takes the cake for me), it's a stretch to say that it should be in the conversation.

Now we've got people reacting in all different sorts of ways. I saw an article on NPR talking about how most of the winners of awards came from indie labels which is interesting in some ways. People sure have been getting worked up about what "indie" means anymore. That shouldn't really matter though since a music's "indie-ness" shouldn't add or detract value from good or bad songs.

Regardless, once again, people are freaking out over weird stuff.

Ok, that was a pretty indulgent rant about what I'm really getting at. Someone took the time to monitor social network responses of people who never heard of The Arcade Fire and are pissed Lady Gaga or Eminem didn't win. I don't know, if you're going to do a claymation Super Bowl ad for iced tea, I think your hardness may come into question.

No comments:

Post a Comment